Welcome to my food blog! This isn't going to be like all the other food blogs that are out there, at least I'm not planning on that yet. I mainly just want to add my recipes to a site so I can have them all together, but also to share with you. I may have some recipes from you, and if I do I will certainly label it as from you. Since it's my blog if I make any changes to it, then I will leave a comment about it below at what I did but then the reader can decide if they want to do the original or mine. The only thing that is the same about these great recipes are that they are all Tried & True Just For You! Enjoy!

Sunday, June 19, 2011

*SOUPS/STEWS*

Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
2 cans whole kernel corn, drained
2 cans black beans, drained
4 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth*
2 cans MILD Rotel (or if you want a kick of hot, use original, medium, hot)
4 chicken breasts, boiled & shredded
1 c. instant rice

Pour everything into a large saucepan, except rice. Simmer until heated though. 15 minutes before serving, add rice. In each bowl, add some tortilla chips, and then soup. Garnish with sour cream, cheese & avocado.

Homemade chicken broth/stock
Boil chicken in 4 c. water, plus 4-6 chicken bouillon. Also add some celery stalks & onions. Remove chicken when done. Put veggies in blender. Add 1 c. broth. Start on very low power, and gradually increase power to liquidfy veggies. May need to add more broth. BE VERY CAREFUL!! Must start on very low power!! Add back to broth, with maybe 3-4 more cups of water, depending on how much water boiled out. May want to add another bouillon or 2.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Oven Beef Stew
1 1/2 lbs lean stew meat, cut up to bite-size pieces
6+ potatoes, peeled and quartered
6+ carrots, peeled and quartered
1 onion, chopped
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 can (10 1/2-14 1/2 oz) beef broth (I do my own)

Mix soups and broth together. Put other ingredients into a 9x13 or larger greased dish. Cover with soups. Cover with foil tightly. Bake at 325 for about 3 hrs.

*This is from my friend Jen in Bryan. She made this for me once after I had Kayley or Jacob. It has become a family favorite.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lazy Man's Corn Chowder
1 1/2 lbs. hamburger
1 onion, chopped
1 can cream of mushroom
1 (12 oz.) pkg. frozen corn
1 (28 oz.) can or jar of favorite spaghetti sauce
salt, pepper
water (opt)

Brown meat with onion in a 4-6 qt. pot. Sprinkle with some garlic salt; drain. Stir in soup, corn and sauce. Add salt and pepper. Let simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally so it doesn't stick to bottom. May want to add some extra water if to thick.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Black Angus Baked Potato Soup
4 large baking potatoes
2/3 c. butter
2/3 c. flour
6 c. milk
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. white pepper
4 green onions, chopped & divided
12 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled
8 oz. sour cream
1 1/4 c. cheddar cheese, shredded & divided

Wash, dry & prick potatoes with fork. Bake on 400 for 1 hour or until done. Let cool. Cut into half lengthwise and scoop out pulp; set aside. Discard skins. Melt butter in heavy pot over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, cover over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Add potato pulp, salt, peppers, 2 Tbsp. green onions, half the bacon, and 1 cup of cheese. Cook until thoroughly heated. Stir in sour cream. Add extra milk if necessary for desired consistency. Serve with remaining green onions, bacon & cheese.

*My kids love the diced ham that I can get by the sausage, canadian bacon section of Walmart. They have pkg. cubed ham and diced ham, and diced ham has become a favorite with this and other things. They really love this soup, and would eat it every day if I made it that often!! One thing for sure though, don't make it during the summer time if it's 100+ degrees outside!! You'll never cool down before bed! It's best on cold days. Usually my rule of thumb is soup only between October-April (General Conferences). This recipe is from my friend Cori in my ward now. I was told it was way good, and after reading the recipe a few times, I got brave and made it. Glad I did!!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Potato Cheese Soup
1/2 c. carrots, chopped
1/4 c. onion, chopped
1/2 c. celery, chopped
2 c. potatoes, diced
1 tsp. parsley
1 c. water
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 chicken bouillon cube
2 Tbsp. flour
1 1/2 c. milk
1/2 lb. processed cheese, cubed

Combine first 9 ingredients and simmer until vegetables are tender. Blend together flour and milk in separate bowl. Add to the vegetables, stirring constantly, until soup thickens. When soup is thickened, add the cheese. Stir until all is melted.

*From Suzanne. I've had it once, and it's good too!!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chili
4- 1# cans of kidney beans (drain 2 cans only)
2 onions, chopped
2 green peppers, chopped
2 lbs. ground beef
2- 1# cans diced tomatoes, seasoned with green peppers, garlic but not Rotel
2- 8 oz. cans tomato sauce
3 Tbsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp. salt
1 bay leaf
any other seasonings that you might like to add for flavor/hotness

Brown meat with onions and peppers. Add all ingredients to a large pot. Mix well. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally over low heat. If using a crock-pot, simmer all day long.

*Cut this recipe in half if you don't have 7 kids and a husband. =)
** When you only discover you have 1# of meat, but still need a lot of chili (and don't have time to get to Walmart), use the 1# of meat, but add another can of beans and another can of tomatoes.
***For chili dogs, place warm hot dogs in buns in a baking dish. Put a little bit of chili over the top, and add cheese and extra onions. Place in 350 oven for about 5-7 minutes.
****For Frito pies, place Fritos in a bowl, add chili, cheese, sour cream, onions. YUM!!!
*****Freezes well!
*This recipe is from my Mom. She used to make it all the time when I was growing up, and I hated it. I would not eat it. It wasn't until 2005 that I made it for the 1st time and discovered how much I loved it, and my family begs for it often!!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chicken Chili
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
Heat oil in pan, add onions and cook until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add:
28 oz. chicken broth
3 cans Northern beans
1 can MILD Rotel
2 Tbsp. cumin
1Tbsp. chili powder, more or less
salt & pepper to taste
8 oz. sour cream
shredded chicken

Mix well. Let simmer for an hour on low heat. To each bowl, add dollop sour cream and sprinkle with Monterey Jack cheese.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

No comments:

Post a Comment